- GARLIESTOWN, a village, in the parish of Sorbie, county of Wigton, 7 miles (S. S. E.) from Wigton; containing 656 inhabitants. This is a considerable modern sea-port village, founded by John, seventh earl of Galloway, when Lord Garlies. It is built in the form of a crescent, and pleasantly situated along the head of a bay which bears its name and affords safe anchorage for vessels; and is an excellent fishing-station. The shore is flat and sandy; the depth of water in the bay, between twenty and thirty feet; and a large number of vessels may ride at anchor in safety in the harbour, which is open to Liverpool, Whitehaven, and other places on the western coast of England. About fifteen vessels belong to the port, of from fifty to 100 tons' burthen each; and foreign ships occasionally touch here. In the village is a rope and sailcloth manufactory. There are two schools, largely endowed by the Earl and Countess of Galloway, in which a number of children have gratuitous instruction.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Sorbie — SORBIE, a parish, in the district of Machers, county of Wigton, 6 miles (S.) from Wigton; containing, with the villages of Garliestown and Sorbie, 1700 inhabitants, of whom 809 are in the rural districts, and 235 in the village of Sorbie. This … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Wigtonshire — WIGTONSHIRE, a maritime county, in the south west of Scotland, bounded on the north by Ayrshire; on the east by the stewartry or county of Kirkcudbright and by Wigton bay; and on the south and west by the Irish Sea. It lies between 54° 38 and… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland